Jack the Ripper

Barracks

347 posts in this topic

Barracks

This is the sleeping quarters of the raiders. The Barracks are comprised of three massive corrugated iron sheds, which have been repurposed and reinforced as sleeping quarters for the Scourge each capable of housing up to 100 raiders each. The sheds are so large, that each raider has their own personal space, separated from the others by makeshift walls of scrap. Due to the ramshack design, the rooms are NOT soundproof, and any conversations can be overheard by neighbours or eavesdroppers. Keep in mind that each raiders personal space is NOT locked off, however, there are rules regarding entering another person's space without their consent….

Feral returned to her barracks looking for her sleeping space. She had been lucky a year ago when she found a corner spot when the previous occupant died in the Pit. The winner of his match took all the loser's belongings but didn't want his space so she was quick and grabbed it before anyone else did. She liked having two real metal walls besides the one scrap wall. She liked her space especially because it was near the door to the bathroom and the showers and had a skylight above it.

On the real wall above the head of her bed Feral had  crudely drawn in charcoal a "dizzy face" emoji, a round face with Xs for eyes, eyebrows that looked surprised and a round empty mouth. On the other blank wall she had duct taped a Nuka Cola ad poster that had a beautiful woman in a space suit enjoying a Nuka Cola. She had bartered to have someone make her a metal bed which dominated the small space.  Sometimes she would lay in her bed and just stare at the poster and daydream about adventures in space where she would kill aliens by the score with that laser pistol. On the bed was a straw pillow and a Grizzly Teddy Bear that she had obtained participating in Scourge raids whereas under the bed was a small tin box marked "Stash", which held her personal fortune of 14 bottle caps. She was not particularly worried about thieves because she knew Jack had strict rules about any Raider who invaded another Raider's space and even stricter rules punishing a Raider who stole from another Raider.

Quickly finding her space, Feral placed her pump shotgun leaning it barrel up in the corner.  The young girl threw herself face first into her bed looking for her last worldly treasure, a "Grognak the Barbarian" comic that she kept under her pillow. Rolling over on her back, the thirteen year old began reading it for the umpteenth time using the light from the skylight. Also for the umpteenth time, every time Grognak dispatched a foe Feral would grin and laugh as if it was the funniest thing in the world.

Edited by T. A. Murrow

Mackenzie will come here after the he left the pit and he will exercise punching the punching bag hung up until the memories and feeling of his past are gone to no prevail and will try and continue as much as he can

His room is verry plain just metal walls no desk no decorations just a uncomfortable looking cloth bead a punching bag and heads of every creature he killed that held a title for being big and bad hung on his wall such as a mutant bear, alpha wolf, and square with nothing on it but the name death claw.

Edited by Mackenzie

The Doctor entered the Barracks, searching and low for where this 'Feral' person dwelt. He happened upon the dizzy face emoji, the haphazard layout, the child like cleanliness. It screamed 'feral' by all sense of the word.

He sat the chest on the bed, and pulling out a paper scrap left a note.

'Collect your combination at the med tent'

Mackenzie will see the professor and say “hey professor thank you again what payment do you want caps, favor, materials?”

Edited by Mackenzie

Mackenzie will looked shocked that someone would do something for nothing and say “ you will ALWAYS have a friend at this place you need anything at all just call and ill be there ive never seen nobody do something for nothing, you have my respect professor.” 

After taking a few more moments to speak with the burly man at the front of the Med Tent, Yetti arrives at the entrance to the barracks after following Mack through the Rec Yard, occasionally stopping to catch his breath. He needed a gas mask, or some form of purified air very soon, otherwise his lungs would begin to spasm and shutdown. He hadn't told anyone of his ailment quite yet, but he knew that if he were going to survive alongside his new companions, he was going to need that mask. Along the way, he wondered who was the person that had revived him so well. He hadn't seen anyone who necessarily looked the part of doctor, at least an efficient one. He took a mental note to thank the man who had saved him, and eventually run some errands for the individual. He leans against the doorway to the entrance, once he reaches it, with his hand, then looks to Mack with an expectant look. "All right, show me the way." He says while motioning toward the door, then stands back up fully. "After you." 

Mackenzie will note Yetti as he walks often taking breaks but decided he didn’t really care and didn’t ask him. 

When they arrived at the entrance and Yetti offered the first to go in Mackenzie said “thanks but if you do that to anyone esle they might kill you, its seems VERY insulting, this way.” Mackenzie leads the way to ferals barracks then says “we’re here this is where you will bunk with feral” Mackenzie pauses and looks at Yetti and says “that box is ferals winnings from your battles she bet everything on you (im pretty sure) do not touch and how old are you? Cant really tell with your mask.”

The doctor was making sure he had all his supplies when he saw Yetti come in. Without invitation he was at his side, one intense eye staring out from his mask as a thumb pressed on his neck.
"...Breathing shallow, labored." He moved away and took a rag and doused it in water from a canteen before handing it to Yetti. "Place over your nose. Deep breathes. Will act as a filter. For now. You need respiratory aid."

Mackenzie will say to Yetti “this man and feral are the ones who saved you, he did all the medical stuff I would do as he says hes good at what he does”

Hearing Mackenzie's comment to Yetti about bunking with Feral, the young girl popped her head over the shoulder high partition between their sleep spaces and clarified to Yetti with a scowl on her dirty face, "Not bunk with Feral, near Feral!"

The preteen ducked her head back down as she sat on her bed shaking her new stash box noisily reminded herself she needed to get the combination from the Med Tent but as she heard the Doctor, Mackenzie, and Yetti discussing Yetti's deteriorating health. She rolled her brown eyes heavenward thinking to herself with a growing frown, "Not my problem, not my problem, not my problem!"

Feral face palmed her grimy forehead leaving a clean space there, thinking to herself, "Going to hate myself for this later," Before popping up her head again and saying to the three men in Yetti's bed space, "Okay, 10% of my winnings should go to the Stranger. 140 caps! Should buy him what he needs at Shit and Crap Store. Give it to you, no strings, only fair. Soon as I get the fucking stash box open..."

Edited by T. A. Murrow

Mackenzie will roll his eyes and will ruffle her hair “no Ill do it I was going to spend my caps anyway you enjoy your money missy the professor went through all the trouble to get you your caps you should enjoy them but you are your own woman so if you insist Ill let you pay”

after he ruffles her hair he thinks to himself (what am I doing? What if she bites me?!)

Edited by Mackenzie

When Mackenzie ruffled her matted brown hair, Feral's brown eyes narrowed and if looks could kill, Mackenzie would have died of a sudden heart attack as she jerked her head away from his hand saying belligerently, "Watch it Zie! (The Preteen had decided she liked the sound of Zie better than Mac or Ken and three syllable names were two too many). I pay my debts!"

Then Feral tilted her head, her face going impassive as she asked the doctor, "You got my combination? Gimme!"

Edited by T. A. Murrow

Mackenzie will look at her quizzically bcause he doesnt see any kind of dept she would have from this situation but hes a man of his word and says “ok I will try not to mess with you missy have fun with the robot and Ill keep a eye on Yetti while your gone.”

Edited by Mackenzie

Mackenzie will lead Yetti to a bed and try and figure out his age, and grab a marker and determine weather or not it would be inappropriate for him to play connect the dots with Yetti’s bullet scars.

Edited by Mackenzie

"Touche." He responds to Mack's comment about his old world etiquette, and proceeds to follow the man into the barracks, taking a careful look around the room upon entry. It was cramped, but as long as he could have some distance from the kid, he would be contempt. He didn't find much comfort in bunking up around someone so young, he hated kids, and hated being around others when he rests even more. But he would at least have to settle in for now. 

Yetti jumped at the sudden appearance to the doctor and looked down at the water-doused rag he offered him. He took it without hesitation and used it to breath through. Primitive, but it should keep him stable for awhile. "Thanks..." He says gratefully, then studies his odd appearance; which reminded him that there was never a dull moment, or individual, in the Wastes. "Guess I owe you a favor, huh?" He smriks at the Doctor, when Feral pops her head up, and spit out her comments hastily, then return to fiddling with her stash box."Ten percent? Guess I could use that to get a new mask and filter." He mumbles mostly to himself, then watches as Mack began to ruffle her hair, which surprised him. The girl was snappy, but seeing some guy be so comfortable with touching someone with affection...made him think that either they were related, or Mack saw something in the girl, something that he hadn't seen. Maybe he was just better at reading others than he was. "By the way, I'm 25...I think. " He says in an unsure manner while pulling his rag down, then back to his face.

Feral crossed her thin arms tightly across her flat chest as she proclaims, "I'm a hunter, not a doctor!" Then the preteen raised a dark eyebrow looking the man up and down whom she assumed was a doctor then making a statement rather than asking a question, "You  doctor. Get Stranger what he needs. 140 caps should be enough at Shit and Crap. You can keep the change - just keep Stranger alive!'

Then Feral turned her glare to Mackenzie, "Fuck Zie, what kind of Raider are you?!?! Just throwing your caps around willy-nilly..."

Feral's head disappeared behind the partition before shaking her stash box again, wondering it the combination was "0-0-0-0" but disappointed to find it wasn't.

Edited by T. A. Murrow

"No favor." The Doctor shook his head as he held out a slip of paper to Feral. "I heal people. It's what I do. The Wasteland provides."
A simple statement as he stood with the paper outstretched to the feral child. 
Upon hearing the request from Feral, he nodded a moment, and then looked around the barracks. "...Have everything we need. Straps. Metal. Tin can."
He took a discarded can and pulled a knife, stabbing holes in it. "Filter. Cotton. Cloth. Herbs. Dried grass."

Edited by professorremnant

Mackenzie will say loud enough for feral to here say “Im not throwing it willy nilly Jack made a arrangement, win and live but if I dont spend my caps he might die even though he won and that would look bad on Jack I take deals seriously, and you won yours fair and square I thought it would be very redundant to bet on someone and use the same money to repair them Im not santa”

but he will start to slowly uncap the marker to try and connect the dots.

Feral darted in grabbing the slip of paper from the doctor's grasp like a small bird grabs a worm disappearing again behind her partition as she opened her stash box with it and carefully counted out 140 caps into her capture bag covered with dried blood from her many kills. 

Hearing Mackenzie's denial, the young girl nodded her head in disbelief commenting authoritatively, "So weird Zie!" but also wondering who or what was "Santa."

The preteen poked her head over the partition once again like a woodchuck out of its hole, watching what the doctor was doing with interest before tossing the bag full of bottle caps to Yetti with a whisper of advice to him, "Think you're going to need that!"

Edited by T. A. Murrow